The African Water Facility (AWF) is a multilateral fund that provides grants and technical assistance to enable governments, NGOs and private-public partnerships to secure investments and implement sustainable water projects throughout Africa. Typically, AWF focuses on the three core areas that are complementary and synergetic: Project Preparation, Water Governance, and Water Knowledge. The overall aim is to leverage all three of these areas to provide the framework and conditions necessary for sustainable projects to succeed and for the African water sector to thrive. AWF provides support directly to cities as well as to national governments for urban projects.
Projects should have clear performance indicators. Criteria used to evaluate projects include:
- National government political commitment
- Consistency with national priorities and regional concensus
- Credibility, ownership, and commitment of the beneficiary
- Effectiveness and sustainability of the institutions and investments
- Opportunity for effective implementation
EUR 50,000 – 5 million.
The application instructions are available on the AWF website here. The downloadable application form contains further details. Completed application are submitted to email@example.com.
Currently AWF is not accepting new applications due to a high volume of submissions.