CICLIA is a EUR 18.4 million project preparation facility funded by the European Union, SECO and AFD with the objective of supporting 40 to 50 cities in launching urban low-carbon & resilient infrastructure projects in Africa.
For each supported city, the main outcome of CICLIA’s support is feasibility studies and other due diligence documents which make the project “bankable” for an international financing institution .
Managed by AFD, the facility has 3 components:
- Component 1 (PREPARE): Development of sectoral strategies including climate, vulnerability studies at the territorial level, pre-feasibility/ feasibility studies of urban infrastructure projects or national low-carbon and resilient programs, capacity building before and during project implementation;
- Component 2 (STRENGTHEN): Support and reinforce the financial and asset management capacities of local authorities to the benefit of the sustainability of investments;
- Component 3 (LEARN): Stocktaking of case studies and dissemination of lesson learnt on <<cities sustainable development in Africa>>, specifically climate resilience and financing.
- Submission and endorsement by local authorities (cities) or their national government (owner/promotor)
- Expected strong climate co-benefits, aligned with Paris Agreement
- Robust integration of gender issues
From EUR 50,000 up to EUR 1 million, depending on the needs (average amount of support EUR 370,000.).
If the application is validated by CICLIA’s secretariat, the project promotor/owner will be supported to develop the full terms of reference for the service contract to be performed by consultants. Procurement of this service contract will be handled by CICLIA’s secretariat.Typical application approval time: 1 month